Sunday, April 1, 2012

Learning About Moose

I have long admired the moose, but I really never knew a lot about them. Most of my life has been lived in areas where there are no moose, so I never learned much about them. Even now in Alaska where I see them on a regular basis, I have realized that I don't know a lot about them. It is time to change that.

Moose are the largest members of the deer family. I never gave any thought to what family they belong. I guess I just assumed they had their own family. A moose is a moose, right? Well, I guess a moose is a deer, if you want to be technical. Varieties of moose also vary based on the region in which they live. There are at least six subspecies of moose, but they are all relatively similar genetically. Most of the differences between the subspecies is due to habitat, not genetics. Of those subspecies, the Alaskan moose is the largest. When it comes to moose, the "Everything is bigger in Alaska" cliche is true. Adult male Alaskan moose usually weigh between 1300 and 1600 pounds, standing about six feet at the shoulders.

There are estimated to be at least 200,000 moose in Alaska, and they can be found in almost all parts of the state. They feed on grasses, pond weeds, and birch, willow, and aspen leaves in summer. In winter they subsist mostly on twigs of birch, willow, and aspen. And Alaskans eat moose. The Alaska Department Fish and Game estimates 6000-8000 moose are harvested annually, yielding as much as 3.5 million pounds of meat. That is almost five pounds per Alaskan.

I always wanted to come to Alaska, and I always associated the moose with Alaska. Now that I am in Alaska, I am discovering that the association between moose and Alaska runs much deeper than nice photos in travel brochures. The moose are a part of Alaska life, and there is a strong interdependence between them and the people of Alaska.

As I look out across the flats in the early morning fog, I see at least twenty moose foraging in the late winter landscape. Spring will be here soon, and these guys are ready for it. They are ready to have something to eat besides twigs. They want to walk through the ponds and marshes looking for something fun to eat. For the calves, it will be a time to experience the world on their own for the first time. For the cows, it will be time for new calves. For me, it will be a chance to watch and learn more about the Alaskan moose. Maybe I can also learn more about myself, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment